education

ABCs in Surviving College Life

11:50 PM

I made it! Whohoo!

On stage with my beautiful mother-- shaking hands with our President.

After making it through the winding roads, the fire tornado and the dizzy maze- like crazy pathway that college brought me, I am more than happy that I’ve made it alive! Sure, it was one hell of a ride. Though tiresome and dragging, it was an unforgettable experience nevertheless. Having graduated and survived college is not that easy, I tell you. Now that it’s my brother’s turn to undergo the same journey I’ve been through, I made a list of some tips that will help him get through the storm and the earthquakes that he might face. Of course, it’s not just intended for him. This is for all people in general, who need it more than anyone else.

Here it goes:

Always do your best in whatever it is that you do.

Be prepared in coming to class. Make sure you know your lessons in advance.

Consider studying as a  habit. It may be hard at first but you'll thank me someday for saying this.

Don't assume unless otherwise stated. (If you know what I mean. Marami ang namamatay sa maling akala.)

Exams play an important role in college, so don't mess up and take it seriously (but never yourself).

Feel free to ask questions when you don't understand something during discussion. Yes, teachers like that very much. So go ahead and don't hesitate.

Go out of your shell and make some friends. Having them around will surely make your college life more enjoyable and meaningful.

Heed the advice of your parents-- They certainly know what's best for you!

Invest your time in healthy and fun activities that you love doing.

Join clubs or groups that help you boost your confidence.

Know your strengths and weaknesses then focus on the aspects you'd like to improve.

Listen to your professors, to your friends, to yourself, to your family, and most importantly, to Our Creator.

Make it a habit to write important details from the discussion since having notes makes reviewing easier; thus will help you during quizzes or exams.

Never forget that health is wealth and knowledge is power. Never ever.

Only in class will you practice and perfect your course so make the most out of it: Participate!

Pray-- not only when you need something but also as a daily thanksgiving.

Quit being so nosy about others' lives because you also have your own. This will make your life more bearable and more livable!

Read a lot. Don't stick to the four corners of the room and settle for less. Research and remember. 

Sit back, relax, keep calm, take it easy and just enjoy the ride!

Take time to be alone and tell your joys, fears, happiness, worries and everything you feel to the Lord. He always listens no matter what. He's always there so open up and let Him lead the way.

Use and maximize your talent and skills that God gave you in helping out others. 

Voice out things that need special attention-- be it about school, family or about friendship. Communication is as important as the relationship itself.

Write down the things that need you are grateful for everyday. This will keep you optimistic come what may.

X-ray and examine your thoughts very carefully before making any decisions.

YOLO-- so make each moment memorable. Do something worthwhile; something which you smile about when you look back to your youth. Don't also forget to grab opportunities whenever there are! 

Zip your mouth when there's a need. Remember, the more words, the more mistakes. The more mistakes, the more you cause pain. Sometimes, should keep your mouth shut and let your gestures speak out for you. 

And one more thing: be yourself. Always. Never try to change yourself just for somebody. You’re cool and beautiful just the way you are. J

These pieces of advice I’ve given you helped me a lot during my college days. I hope that it will help you as well, in your newfound endeavor in life. By the way, this concept of making it ABCs is inspired by an article I’ve read when I was in my freshman year. If I remember it correctly, it was written by Kathleen and entitled ABCs of Getting Good Grades. So she deserves a big thank you for giving me an idea for this post. Thanks!


Well, that’s it dear! I hope that you find this post helpful. Please let me know by writing your thoughts below. J


Good luck and God bless to your university years and may it be filled with joyful memories! Kudos ahead! J

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. haha I read this from college, from that green hardbound book LOL
    I guess I still have my copy sad hehehe

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah me too I still have it with me bayet so it got me thinking why not make my own version.. char lang.. hehe ;)

      Delete