literature

Poetry's Stories: Poems and Lessons

4:58 PM





Imagine. Then tell.

Poetry's Stories is a series in my blog wherein I share my thoughts about poetry’s beauty. Either my favorite poems and their authors or my own poems will be the subjects of criticism and therefore open to possibilities of anything that might happen. Since this is the first entry for this series, I am going to share my own composition written when I was at the peak of happiness overload. J




Here we go:

I started to love poems when I was in college. Being an English major, it’s impossible not to appreciate poetry, as what I’ve said before. I write poems when I am in the mood—like when I’m very happy or very sad. Poetry then became a venue for me to free myself of the emotions that I feel at the moment. (Here’s a little history) There was a time in college when I had a crush on someone who seems so distant from my world. So I wrote poems for him so that I can express myself without hurting anybody as I confess what I feel. ^_^ Too bad he was not the person who I thought he is. Anyway, here are some poems I personally want to share with you guys. J

-----
Do Fairytales Come True? Or I’ll be Forever Sad and Blue?

Every night I dream of a “you and me”
These wishful thinking fill me with glee
The sight of us together makes me elated
Hoping that Cupid will hit us enchanted
O, my Prince, how delighted am I that I found you!
Squeezed, twisted, crackled, twirled: if you only knew!
How intense is this fire burning in my chest
Happily hoping and dreaming to be your lucky conquest
But it’s the other way ‘round in reality
We can only be together in fairytale and fantasy
Unfortunately, you already have your queen: O my!
And whenever both of you are nigh, sigh is my only reply
If only Harry Potter can give me an elixir
Both of us will live forever and live a happy- ever- after!


-----
Adrenaline Rush

Blood rushed up and down my being
As this crown was the one I’m seeing
My insides were ‘bout to burst, trembling
I can’t feel my soul breathing
Numb, I tried to grasp the air: soothing
Tears all over me were falling
Fast, and distant roars fulfilled its calling:
Voices echoed my heart that’s pounding
Trumpets, drums and violins were playing
A little heaven on earth was the feeling
(Yet I can’t recall everything
For I was busy daydreaming)

Yes, deep within me I was hoping
To end the sense of longing
Rooted in my inmost was something
A kind of uninvited thing
Well so you know,
I’m glad to catch the glow!

-----
Why Does It Hurt For a Princess to Wait for her Knight In a Shining Armor?

Walked past were a bunch of passers- by
She remained vigilant, on a stand by
Still. Wanting. Waiting.
Seasons changed without any warning
Until she found herself dry
Yet seemingly she wanted to pry
Eager for him to arrive bold and daring
The knight she longs to be having
No one came and it made her wanna cry
To sympathize at once with the dark sky
How hard is waiting, as in her thinking
For someone like her whose kingdom’s shining
So how lucky is this guy?
That the princess so shy
Pleaded someone to spy
Only to discover that everything was a lie!

There! Those are three out of the many poems that I wrote way back during those days of inspiration.   

Moving on, I am about to tell you some important things I learned about writing poems:
  • Find your own voice. This is important in writing not just poems, but stories or novels as well. Knowing your voice would definitely make it easy to write and express anything you have in mind. This will also count as your signature or trademark, that, once readers read a piece of writing, they already know that it’s you.
  •  Choose your theme. A poem must contain a general message. It’s up to you what. As long as you put your heart on it, then that would constitute for an effective literary piece.
  •   Be yourself. Never write to please others or what, because you’d fail to apply the goal of writing in the first place: and that is for self- expression. Write your thoughts, as long as it’s you and it’s what you feel.
  • There’s no such thing as a perfect poem. (Neither does perfect people or perfect stories.) The flaws make it more humane and so, much more realistic.
  •   It’s not about the form or the words; it’s more about the story. No matter what structure you use, a poem always tells a story. Even though the words are literal, you still have to read beyond the lines. The beauty of a poem lies in its capacity to evoke curiosity and mystery in its elegance or simplicity.
  • Writing a poem is simple. Many think (like me before) that poetry is only for those who are taking up Literature, or for those who are creative, or for those who are in the field of Education… blah, blah, blah. To tell you honestly, definitely nope! It’s for everyone! Who says a poem needs to have this and that? (Yeah, I know.) The truth is, a poem doesn’t have to be at the mercy of society’s conventions and standards. That it exists on its own and has its own dimension and space. What I’m trying to tell here is that why would you limit poetry when it has to convey the unlimited thoughts a human being can ever possess, right? So basically, anyone can write a poem because everyone is capable of feeling and that’s what matters.




Thank You
Words are never enough
Just like the ocean
Which never gives up
And still lets the
River go through
The same path over
And over
And over
Again.
Thanks for
Spending on your
Valuable treasure which
Will never be yours
Ever again.
Gratefulness overflows.

Thankies Munchies, 
Jong J



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. what a wonderful poem. I am in to poems too, except sometimes I cant find the inspiration to write and no words to describe certain feelings

    Mind if we follow each other on GFC?
    Lemme know :)
    www.dicexcvi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that Kandice :)
      That's true. Since poems reflect our emotions, it's difficult to put them into words sometimes..

      Not at all. I already followed you dear. :)

      Thankies munchies,
      Jong :)

      Delete